Cosmos Apple Pie
Easy Vegan Apple Dessert Recipe From Vegan Pie In The Sky
Cosmos Apple Pie: Test recipe from the Vegan Pie In The Sky cookbook by Isa Chandra Moscowitz & Terry Hope Romero.
"This apple pie is an homage to Carl Sagan, so relish it while you gaze out into the cosmos and think about how amazing it all is, and how amazing apple pie all is."
Use the Buttery Double Crust from Vegan Pie In The Sky or SV's vegan pie crust (if you are lame and haven't rushed right out and bought this awesome cookbook).
Total Prep and Cook Time: 75 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition Data, 115g Serving: 133 cal, 34g carb, 0g fat, 5mg sodium, 2g fiber, 1g protein, 28g Sugars, very low Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, sodium, Estimated glycemic load 17
Apple Pie Filling:
- 6 cups peeled Granny Smith apples sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp plain almond milk or nondairy milk of your choice
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl, tossing with your hands to coat the apples
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Add the filling to the prepared pie shell
- Cover with the top crust, pinch the edges together, trim the excess dough to about an inch, and crimp
- Mix together the cinnamon and the sugar for the topping and pour the almond milk in a small cup
- Brush the top of the pie with the almond milk and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar, Make five slits in the middle of the pie to let steam escape (a steak knife works great for this)
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes, then lower the heat and bake for 30 to 35 more minutes, slipping on a pie crust shield if your edges are getting too browned
- Place the pie on a cooling rack and let it cool for about half an hour before serving.
Note from The Authors:
Isa & Terry say, "This is probably the first pie you'll want to master and luckily it's also one of the easiest.
We like to use Granny Smiths here, since they hold their shape and are tart enough to complement the sweetness and spices.
The apples are perfectly plump and juicy and the luscious saucy filling just bursts all over your taste buds.
A little dusting of cinnamon sugar makes the pie look and taste great. Thank you, universe!"
Your comments & questions help improve our recipes, so don't be shy! Contact Us